Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Sourav calls it a day

I fell in love with this guy when i was 11. You can frown and roll your eyes all the way you want,but it was his looks that attracted me at first. I wanted to put a photo showing him at that age with those looks,but i couldnt find the right photo. Ofcourse i had thousands of his pictures at those times which i had treasured. But then i thought i had grown up and that hes just old news.So i dint take them when i shifted house.
When i first saw him i just liked his features and his surname(dont ask me y,i was 11). An year later I met M. M was crazy about sourav and she probably still is. Our crushes grew into craziness in each others presence. We talked about him and only him during our breaktime and even during classtime. Once i stole a page of a magazine from my tuition class which contained a photo of him which I then thought was the best photo that could ever be taken of anybody in the world(i was 11). M called his home like a 1000 times and finally got to talk to Dona. I called his home twice(i was 11*embarrassed). The first time they said something in bengali which i dint understand. The next time i specifically mentioned that i am from kerala and they told me she isnt home. I dint call again and thought they just lied to me. But the next day i saw a photo in paper of sourav and family in a foreign country and i was happy. But my craziness couldnt match up with M's. She would collect arrowroot biscuit wrappers just because they were made in Kolkata. It was our dream to visit Kolkata. We both were shattered when the Nagma controversy occured. She cried. I didnt. I trusted him. We both danced with joy when Sana was born. We used to make a list and consider names for the baby when Dona was expecting. Those where the days of madness and childishness.
Years passed. We joined different colleges and became all matured. The craziness disappeared. I started even laughing at those How to make maggi waala ganguly jokes. But felt bad when he was thrown out of the team. Still my life dint revolve around him anymore. Today he announced his retirement. I know he deserved a much better retirement, without being thrown out of the team this many times,without controversies and allegations of a forced retirement. The comebacks he has made was even beyond the expectations of even his most optimistic fan. My heart aches at the thought that i wontbe watching him again in the field, that he would never be making another comeback,that i would be hardly seeing him and hearing his news. I just hope he scores well in his last match and waves goodbye with dignity. Wishing him good luck with all my heart on his last match>:D<.
P.S: I know 4 outta 5 people who reads this is gonna be Ganguly haters>:P,I dont care:P I love him anyway:P

15 comments:

Ken John Koshy said...

personally, i think the only reason y most cricketers are over staying their welcome is because of the money involved.( one cant blame them either). If the money involved was much much less, all the snr cricketers would have retired. Any cricketer would love to retire at a time when people would ask Y? instead of Y not.
Personally he should have been thrown out 2 years ago. But lot of money involved so cant blame him.

Ken John Koshy said...

and u r telling me not to fall for luks :|

kartoos said...

@ ken-if sachin sourav dravid laxman kumble retires, we would be a good fielding team maybe. Whos a dependable batsman without them. Yuvraj n sehwag plays well once in a while. We need better younger players

kartoos said...

ni dint marry him coz of his looks,did i?:P

Praveen said...

WOOWW..u called his house? u ppl personally selected his baby's name?my god, u shud be his gr8est fan alive. I hope he gets to read this. It wud make him happy more than any farewell..

@Kenny
Your words are totally unfair to these seniors who've brought innumerable laurels to our cricket team. Do u think people like sachin and sourav are there for the money? Dont u think its a flawed argument considering the fact that these guys are rick by birth, with cricket or without cricket. They are staying because they think they can contribute something more to the cause of the team. Have you ever seen the passion in the eyes of these men? Each time they wear the Indian cap, they do it with full commitment and love for the sport. Money just doesn't cross their minds. But you cannot expect them to play well each and every match. Sachin's so called bad performances still match up with the dream performances of some of the 'young guns'. They all should be allowed to continue till they like and should be given a fitting farewell when they hangup their boots

Ken John Koshy said...

well...its just that v all r emotionally attached to these guys...frm the time v started to watch cricket they were there and hence v just cant let go.
these snr players are just in our minds, in the sense, even if they r not there others will perform or will have to perform.
I dont have any probs with sachin, dravid and kumble :D...saurav and laxman are letting the rest of their team down with their fielding and running b.w wickets.
And when u luk at the big picture, the jnr players cannot be compared with them. but if you take recent records, they can be very much compared. The old has to make way 4 the new. there will be initial hickups but eventually it will get settled.
India can go 2 ways from here. One is down hill like what happened to the west indies after its greats retired. or the other the ausi way, the jnrs will cope up as a team and frm them eventually a great will emerge

Ken John Koshy said...

i am all for a grand fare well. The problem with cricketers is that after cricket, you dont get to make the same amt of money and hence money will be a problem( i dont find that to be a problem)
they shouldnt be allowed to continue till they want, they should be allowed to continue till they are good enough to continue. non of these players are what they used to be. if u consider the past few years the gap b/w a saurav or lakshman and a sewagh is not much( i personally at this pt of time sewagh is better then them)
When such a time comes one should leave all ur emotions aside and pic people for the future.
The reason y we are not world beaters is that we are too soft

Praveen said...

@kenny
Its not emotional attachment. Am talking from a performance perspective
I got your point of blooding youngsters. But, one simple question.. does that mean we should disrespect our former great players? Ganguly was the 2nd highest run getter in ODIs last year, when he was unceremoniously dropped. And then he was treated shabbily by the selectors..
Same with Laxman..How many guys from India have shown the balls to stand up to Aussie pace like he did? barring Sachin, dravid and sehwag, how many are there?

emotional attachment is an entirely different issue...have to write essays about tht

kartoos said...

I totally agree with praveen

Kartz said...

Hmmm... First time here...

Yeah, I have rung him up too... I was in my fifth/sixth standard then. My tuition teacher was Sourav's friend. And well... Somehow, I pestered him to share it with me... Though I was unable to talk to Dada, I got to speak with hid dad... Luckily, I knew Bangla... :-) Quoting my tutors name worked, actually...

"Sourobh practice korte giyeche... Pore phone koro..." :( [Sourav has gone to practice; call later]

But somehow... I never gathered the guts to call again... Ah well... :-) Leander Paes was next... ;-)

I feel nostalgic when I think of those days as a youngster.

Anyway, I hope he has a peaceful retirement...

Peace.

kartoos said...

@kartz- Maybe people with similar names have similar interests:D

Priya Joyce said...

hey u r a real fan dear...hmmm u can see him in IPL re...

Unknown said...

Never thought people could be so mad! *bows*

kartoos said...

@ priya- yeah i guess i am, IPL is a relief..i just hope they dont kick him outta der as well as there were some controversies regarding a dispute between him and SRK

@ rockus- I was mad..better now:D

princeofdjame said...

tat was amazing - i thot i was th only person to b mad on DADA.. ur blog impresssed me